Friday, September 16, 2011

"Doot do do do do doot doot! Livin' in the USA"

The song that I chose to represent American life today was the song "Livin' In The USA" by The Steve Miller Band. Even though this song was released in 1990, I feel that it still fits America's lifestyle today. The song is generally upbeat with a pretty simple instrumental progression throughout the whole thing. My favorite lines from this song are:
"I see a yellow man, a brown man
A white man, a red man
Lookin' for Uncle Sam
To give you a helpin' hand
But everybody's kickin' sand
Even politicians
We're living in a plastic land
Somebody give me a hand, yeah" (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/steve+miller+band/livin+in+the+usa_20249173.html)
Everyone needs help from their neighbors but everyone is causing problems at the same time, it says. "We're living in a plastic land" is true because we're using more plastic than ever, but at the same time trying to reduce our environmental footprint. 
A few other lines that I really like are:
"Come on try it, you can buy it, you can leave it next week, yeah
Somebody give me a cheeseburger"
This shows America’s tendency to buy things and deal with them later. And of course the cheeseburger needs to earn a line. An example of our obesity and health issues, the cheeseburger is probably one of the more symbolic items for our country.

YouTube Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxj14ynrSKw&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

1 comment:

  1. I see what you're saying! Cheeseburgers are so (delicious) symbolic of what is happening in the country--as well as the plastic analogy. I thought of plastic surgery instead of environmental issues, but I see your point there too. But don't you think the racial points are a bit less relevant now than they were? or do we still struggle with it?

    ReplyDelete